Join fine artist & art educator, Elisabeth Arbuckle, to explore the history and creation of Masks In Art.
Elisabeth will lead us through an exploration of the influence of masks in art through history, from James Ensor to Picasso to the current day and the overwhelming (and unexpected) influence of masks throughout the Covid-19 pandemic. Other themes explored in this 2-part workshop: masquerades, Venetian masks, how we hide behind many masks in society, how we use masks to protect ourselves and others, and the politicization of mask-wearing.
Together, we will create a plaster strip mask during the first session, which we will decorate in the second session.
This is a 4-hour workshop taking place over two Tuesday evenings in June: June 14th and June 21st. Both workshops will begin at 7:00pmEDT.
This is a project-based workshop, meaning everything you need to complete your mask in this listing is included in your workshop fee/kit and will be ready and waiting for your arrival on June 14th. Easy peasy!
Level: beginner; no previous experience required.
Your registration fee includes:
- 4 hours of personalized instruction with Elisabeth;
- All the materials you will require to complete your mask, including plastic molds, infused plastic strips, paints, brushes, varnish, canvases and other materials for use during the workshop (your finished masks will - obviously - go home with you);
- Refreshments during the workshops; and,
- A boredom-busting good time and something to look forward to! Ply Studio workshops are always engaging and we promise that you will have fun.
Maximum number of participants: 10
Really important notes:
1) This workshop will take place IN-PERSON at Ply Studio in Ottawa.
2) If you are unwell, please stay home and contact the Studio for direction on a make-up class. Please consult the Ply Studio health and safety guidelines for further information.
3) Please ensure the email email@example.com is in your contacts and whitelisted so that you receive all correspondence about this workshop.
4) This workshop will be taught in English.
5) The project you will be creating will differ slightly from the examples shown in this listing, depending on the materials you choose and your own creative inspiration.
6) This workshop is limited to 10 participants but 3 participants are required for the workshop to take place. If cancelled due to low enrolment, you will be notified about your options to take a different workshop OR receive a refund.
Registration fees are non-refundable but can be transferred to someone else OR used for a future workshop. Please stay home if you are unwell and contact the Studio - we will make arrangements for you to take the class again in the future OR receive a refund. Should we have to cancel, students will receive a full refund. Please note that we reserve the right to postpone and reschedule a class due to unforeseen circumstances. Should this be the case, we will make every effort to contact students to let them know of the cancellation and to arrange a makeup workshop. Please review all other Ply Studio policies here.