Join fibre artist Karen D. Miller of Karen D. Miller Studio on May 25th from 6:30-9:30 pmEDT for an introduction to the fabulous art of rug hooking.
In this online workshop, you will work on your own small rug hooking piece. Rug hooking is a relaxing, interpretative art form based on the technique of pulling loops of fibre through a backing material. In this class we will be using yarn, which makes it accessible and allows you to create interesting textures in your work.
Karen will guide you through everything you need to know about hooking with yarn; from the materials needed to hook, creating a simple design and getting it on your backing fabric, how to choose yarns for hooking, rug hooking techniques and tips, and ideas for finishing your piece.
No previous rug hooking experience is necessary.
Students will need to join the class with the following:
* a rug hook (preferably a medium size but if you have a favourite hook, bring it along too)
* a rug hooking frame OR a rug hooking or quilting hoop (not an embroidery hoop) that is at least 10" round
* a 12" x 12" piece of rug hooking linen or rug warp
* a selection of yarns (can be wool, acrylic, cotton or anything else! A good mix of types and thicknesses will allow you to experiment and see what each add to your piece)
* a black Sharpie marker
If you already have all of the above then you are all set! If you don't, Karen can provide students at registration with links to online suppliers who provide a beginner kit that would be perfect for this class and beyond.
1) This workshop will take place virtually using Zoom. You will need to have video capability in order to share your progress with me through the class.
2) This workshop will be taught in English.
3) The rug hooking you will be creating will differ from the example shown in this listing.
Registration fees are non-refundable but can be transferred to someone else OR used for a future workshop. Should I have to cancel, students will receive a full refund. Please note that I reserve the right to postpone and reschedule a class due to unforeseen circumstances. Should this be the case, I will make every effort to contact students to let them know of the cancellation and to arrange a makeup workshop.